Norman Elementary School
Austin ISD’s 2017 Bond called for the construction of a single, modernized elementary school at the Norman or Sims campus. As advised by a community planning team, the AISD Board of Trustees approved a $25 million investment in Norman Elementary School, funding the complete modernization of the campus as one of 17 new or modernized campuses.
The modernized Norman Elementary will open in Fall 2020 and include flexible learning spaces, natural light, outdoor classrooms, and new media technology. A modernized school allows students to be active learners in 21st-century learning spaces as they collaborate, use technology and move within the classroom.
While Norman is being modernized, students are co-locating at Sims Elementary for the 2018-19 and 2019-20 school years, forming the combined Norman & Sims Elementary Schools — the campus where Stars Shine and Tigers Roar Together!
Norman will be under construction for two years — until Fall 2020. During 2018-2019, most work will be behind the scenes as design and construction experts plan the modernized school. Look for construction to begin in Summer 2019!
- Modernization Budget: $25,000,000
- Total Budget: $25,000,000
- Trustee: Edmund T. Gordon
- Location: 4001 Tannehill Ln., Austin, Texas 78721
- Existing Capacity: 486
- 2016/2017 Utilization: 54%
- Meeting Materials
- Betty Jenkins, Exec. Director for Area 2, AISD
- Jennifer Hranitzky, Exec. Director for Area 2, AISD
- Aleza Sitarz, SEL Specialist, AISD
- Amber Rinehart, Technology Design Coach, AISD
- Wendy Mills, Principal, Norman
- Yolanda Pineda-Gabehart, Assistant Principal, Norman
- Timesha Moten, Instructional Staff, Norman
- Ivory Wright, Instructional Staff, Norman
- Esther Jaimes, Parent Volunteer, Norman
- Renee Conley, Principal, Sims
- Deyaporate Dorsey, Parent Support Specialist, Sims
- Elizabeth Miesch, Instructional Staff, Sims
- Kay Isaac, Parent, Sims
- Dawn Burnside, Community Member
- Jessica Andrew, Community Member
- Rick Ravel, Community Member