When voters approved the 2017 Bond it included $25 million for the construction of a modernized elementary school in northeast Austin. On March 26, the AISD superintendent accepted a recommendation from a community planning team, made up of parents, community leaders and AISD faculty and staff from Norman and Sims Elementary schools, to modernize the Norman campus.
A modernized school allows students to be active learners in 21st-Century learning spaces as they collaborate, use technology, and move within the classroom.
While Norman is under construction, students from both campuses will be located at Sims Elementary for the 2018-19 and 2019-20 school years. The modernized Norman campus will reopen in the fall of 2020.
McKissack & McKissack has been contracted by the district to manage this project, and a Campus Architectural Team (CAT), made up of members of your school community, has been meeting regularly with the project team since May to provide input as we seek to modernize the facility and shape the environment for 21st century learning.
The CAT for Norman Elementary includes:
- Betty Jenkins, Exec. Director for Area 2, AISD
- Jennifer Hranitzky, Administrative Supervisor for Area 2, AISD
- Aleza Sitarz, SEL Specialist, AISD
- Amber Rinehart, Technology Design Coach, AISD
- Wendy Mills, Principal, Norman
- Yolanda Pineda-Gabehart, Assistant Principal, Norman
- Timesha Moten, Instructional Staff, Norman
- Ivory Wright, Instructional Staff, Norman
- Esther Jaimes, Parent Volunteer, Norman
- Renee Conley, Assistant Principal, Sims
- Deyaporate Dorsey, Parent Support Specialist, Sims
- Elizabeth Miesch, Instructional Staff, Sims
- Kay Isaac, Parent, Sims
- Dawn Burnside, Community Member
- Jessica Andrew, Community Member
- Rick Ravel, Community Member
As part of the district’s commitment to communicate the progress of the bond to the community, we want to be sure you are aware of opportunities for public engagement around key project milestones.
CAT meetings are taking place throughout the summer as the team works through the initial phases of planning and design. There will be a community engagement opportunity at the end of this phase, which has not yet been scheduled.
For the most up-to-date information on the Norman modernization project, including project events and key dates, please visit www.AustinISD2017Bond.org/Norman-ES.
If you have any questions about the 2017 Bond Program, please reach out to the bond communications team at 512-414-9595 or firstname.lastname@example.org.