On April 19, 2023, LBJ Early College High School celebrated the grand opening of the first phase of its campus modernization, built as part of the 2017 Bond Program.
- Construction on LBJ’s Phase One modernization began in June 2021 and was opened to students and faculty for the start of the spring 2023 semester.
Students, teachers and community members came together in the newly renovated courtyard for a ribbon-cutting ceremony and performances by the LBJ ECHS Marching Band and The First Ladies. After the ceremony, attendees enjoyed refreshments and a guided tour of the modernized spaces led by current LBJ ECHS students.
- Speakers included:
- Maya Crawford, LBJ ECHS Student Body President
- Dr. Joseph Welch, Principal of LBJ Early College High School
- Matias Segura, Austin ISD Interim Superintendent
- Arati Singh, President of the Board of Trustees
- Candace Hunter, District 1 Trustee
- Barbara Scott, President of Colony Park/Lakeside Neighborhood Association
- Cheryl Bradley, Former District 1 Trustee
- LaTisha Anderson, Former District 1 Trustee
Why it matters: The modernization project focused on expanding career opportunities and creating a central hub that unifies the academic wing with the rest of the building.
- New spaces include a media center, student common areas, recording studios, a computer lab, community room and a medical professionals suite to support LBJ’s unique P-TECH program.
What they’re saying: “It’s been exciting to see students enjoying these new spaces that not only prepare them for their futures, but truly reflect our Jaguar pride,” said LBJ Principal, Dr. Joseph Welch. “Thank you to AISD leadership, the project team, Campus Architectural Team and the greater LBJ community for your unwavering dedication to our students.”
What’s next: This is the first phase of a broader long-range plan to modernize the entire facility in phases. Work on Phase Two of the LBJ ECHS modernization is scheduled to begin in fall 2023 as part of the 2022 Bond Program.
- For more information on LBJ Early College High School’s modernization and the 2017 Bond Program, visit www.austinisd2017bond.org. For more information on the 2022 Bond Program, visit www.AISDFuture.com.
Go deeper: Check out photos from the grand opening below and the recording of the event can be found here. Congratulations Jags!