On the first day of the spring semester, phase one of LBJ Early College High School’s modernization opened to all students and staff.
- Construction began in summer 2021 as part of the 2017 Bond Program.
Why it matters: The modernization created a central hub for LBJ ECHS students and staff to congregate and improved navigation between the school’s wings. This central hub includes:
- A secure entry vestibule;
- Large lecture halls on the first and second floors;
- Lounging areas on the first and second floors;
- A computer lab;
- Two media production areas (JAG radio and recording room);
- Upgraded CTE classrooms with equipment for nursing and dentistry; and
- Expanded library with open circulation desk.
Of note: The new lounge areas, which provide students with study spaces, reading corners and areas for playing board games, were the most popular feature.
What they’re saying: “It opened up a lot more room for us to come in and relax in our free time. The wait was worth it because we’re all enjoying it and grateful for the opportunity we have.” – Senior Latreveon McCutchin
Next steps: As part of the 2022 Bond Program, the district will work closely with the LBJ community to develop phase two of the school’s modernization.
- Visit AISDfuture.com for more information about the 2022 Bond.
Congratulations to the Jaguars on a successful first week!