Austin ISD embraces and is committed to sustainability. As a core component of the district, every project or new construction keeps sustainability at the forefront.
Why it matters: Our green buildings have been shown to be more energy efficient, and we’re saving taxpayer dollars when we save on utilities. Schools were built to let in more natural light with LED lighting, energy-efficient plumbing and solar-ready roofs.
- 12 modernized campuses achieved Austin Energy Green Building certification
- 5 modernized campuses achieved Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design
- 11 Schools with cisterns that use reclaimed water for irrigation
- $279,514+ saved through solar generation districtwide
- 43 total green-certified buildings across Austin ISD
The district celebrated the 12 schools awarded AEGB/LEED certificates in 2022; click here for a recap of the ceremony.
The bottom line: Since 2004, all new schools and major renovation projects have adhered to green building standards and achieved at least a two out of five-star rating from Austin Energy Green Building (AEGB). With the 2017 Bond Program, we are continuing our commitment to sustainability.
Watch our video and learn more about Austin ISD’s commitment to sustainability.